Soladigm - Electrochromic Plant No. 1 - Olive Branch, Mississippi
Sitts & Hill Engineers, Inc. was hired as the prime consultant, structural engineer, building designer, and construction manager for a new glass manufacturing facility. The engineering portion of our scope included the structural design of the manufacturing plant along with several associated auxiliary structures. All designs were checked for building code requirements and compliance for fire ratings as well as emergency exiting procedures. The plant required two-story office space, rooms for chillers, pumps and compressors, and rooms for maintenance, measuring, testing, and shipping. Unique to the design was the especially intricate Class 1,000 Cleanroom where the mechanical design included HVAC and air exhaust systems, plumbing, compressed air cooling water, and fire sprinklers.
Other auxiliary structures included
- foundations for cooling towers
- steel framing for overhead cranes
- steel framing for overhead utilities
- loading docks and truck bays
- employee entrance canopy
- two-story office lobby with glass rails
The electrical systems for the plant included new power poles and five 4,000-amp transformers with corresponding switchgear to feed the facility and equipment.
We prepared construction drawings, specifications and contracts and provided construction management and oversight including
- a full-time, on-site construction manager
- a part-time, on-site project manager
- the administration of contracts for general and electrical contractors
- the review and approval of shop drawings and product submittals
- the review and approval of pay applications and change order requests
- the approval of requests for proposal and change orders
Critical to the success of the project was the close coordination and communication between the owner, electrical and mechanical engineers, and contractors. The glass produced at the plant requires precision equipment, designed and installed by electrical and mechanical engineers and contractors with specific experience for this type of manufacturing facility.